Yvonne K. Higgins
QA Advisor, WIRB-Copernicus Group
Yvonne has contributed to the cause of ethics and responsibility in human research for more than 20 years. During that time, she has served in several roles, notably as:
- Vice President of Quality Management for Copernicus Group IRB with responsibility for maintaining compliance with regulatory requirements, accreditation standards, and for developing and overseeing continuous quality improvement initiatives.
- Executive Director of the human research protections program (HRPP) and Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) at the University of Pennsylvania (Penn) where she served as lead in the accreditation of Penn’s HRPP by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs (AAHRPP).
- Co-Chair of the workshop and didactic planning committee for PRIM&R’s Advancing Ethical Research annual conference and recipient of PRIM&R’s 2010 Distinguished Service Award.
- Public Health Analyst within the US Department of Health and Human Services Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) co-developing an IRB quality improvement assessment program and streamlining the IRB federalwide assurance process.
- Microbiologist, US Army Research Institute of Infectious Diseases where she participated in worldwide clinical trials of a candidate malaria vaccine and received a meritorious achievement award for her help in the laboratory analysis and evaluation of biological specimens during a potentially serious outbreak of Ebola.
Ms. Higgins earned her B.A. degree in Biology from Hood College and a Certificate in Human Research Ethics from the University of Washington's School of Medicine.